The Gauteng Health Department says it is not yet confirmed whether there’s contract with the current facilities caring for former Life Esidimeni patients.
On Monday the Life Esidimeni family Committee raises concerns that the department hasn’t drafted agreements with the new facilities.
Last year more than 100 mentally ill patients died after being moved from the facility to various NGOs across the province, which were later found to have been operating unlawfully.
The Family Committee says pending of legal documents with the new facilities put the life of the mentally ill patient at risk.
Officials say if something happens to a patient government will not be able to hold these facilities accountable.
According to the department’s Prince Hamnca says Health MEC Gwen Ramokgopa is committed to ensuring that all patients are safe and well taken care of. “There are a number of issues and the MEC will look into them.”
The families of the removed patients say the department has promised to have the contracts ready by the end of this week.
At least 820 mentally ill patients have been moved from the unlawful NGOs so far.