According to the South African Football Association (SAFA), the search for the Bafana Bafana coach started with more than 70 applicants, which were sent to SAFA expressing interest.
The Technical Search Group comprised of:
- SAFA President, Dr Danny Jordaan
- SAFA Vice President, Elvis Shishana
- Chair of the SAFA Technical Committee, Ms Anastasia Tsichlas
- Former Bafana Bafana great; Benni McCarthy and Lucas Radebe
- Top Development coach, Farouk Khan
- SAFA Technical Director, Neil Tovey
- Football Legend, Bhuda Mathate
- Anna Nyman
The group reduced the list of candidates to five and then finally three, which included;
- Hevre Renard
- Hugo Broos
- Stuart Baxter
The final decision was the approval of the appointment of Stuart Baxter as the Bafana Bafana head coach.
SAFA CEO, Dennis Mumble, was then tasked to finalise both the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and the long-term contract for the coach.
The contract was finalised, opening the way for Baxter to become head coach of the South African Senior Men’s National Team with the immediate challenge being continuing with the preparations for the 2018 FIFA World Cup and the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.