Prosecutors in Sweden said on Friday that they would drop their preliminary rape inquiry against Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks founder.
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange says he will not “forgive or forget” being “slandered” and “detained” for seven years without charge.
Detained for 7 years without charge by while my children grew up and my name was slandered. I do not forgive or forget.
— Julian Assange (@JulianAssange) 19 May 2017
Swedish prosecutors said as “all options of moving the investigation forward are now exhausted” and “in light of the views expressed by the [Swedish] Supreme Court on the proportionality of remanding someone in absentia” it was no longer “proportional” to maintain Assange’s arrest warrant.
Assange’s lawyer Per Samuelsson said his client was now considering suing Sweden. Assange, 45, has always denied the rape allegations made against him.
He reasserted a point, made earlier on Friday via the WikiLeaks Twitter account, that the UK has refused to confirm or deny that a US extradition warrant exists.
UK states it will arrest Assange regardless & refuses to confirm or deny whether it has already received an extradition request from the US.
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) 19 May 2017
He thanked the United Nations, Ecuador and its people and his legal team, who worked without charge to earn this “important victory.”
While he thanked the people of Ecuador, and their asylum system profusely, and acknowledged the intense economic pressure Ecuadorian exporters had been subjected to by the European Union, he concluded with a rather ominous statement:
“The road is far from over. The war, the proper war, is just commencing.”
The Ecuadorian government has requested that the UK give Julian Assange safe passage so he can seek asylum in the South American nation reports Reuters.