Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa has been elected as the President for the ruling party African National Congress (ANC) on Monday night with 2,449 votes to 2,261 for Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma.
Cyril Ramaphosa will succeed President Jacob Zuma as the 14th leader of the oldest liberation and struggle movement (Anti-Apartheid Movement) in the Continent of Africa.
He received the majority votes in the party presidential contest held at Nasrec, Johannesburg yesterday. Other Members of the ANC Top-6 Structure were also elected.
Full ANC Top-6
- President: Cyril Ramaphosa
- Deputy President: David Mabuza
- National Chairperson: David Mabuza
- General Secretary: Ace Makgashule
- Deputy General Secretary: Jessie Duarte
- Treasury General: Paul Mashatile
The newly elected ANC Top-6 have the huge task of restoring unity in the party, convince the markets and restore voter confidence.
The rand currency had risen to a nine-month high of 12.5200 earlier, in as the market priced in a Ramaphosa victory.
Government bonds also closed firmer before announcement that Ramaphosa had won the race.
It remains to be seen if the new Top-6 will allow President Zuma to finish his term in the office as the President of South Africa…
Presidents of the ANC
- 1912 – 1917 John Langalibalele Dube (1871–1946)
- 1917 – 1924 Sefako Mapogo Makgatho (1861–1951)
- 1924 – 1927 Zacharias Richard Mahabane (1881–1970)
- 1927 – 1930 Josiah Tshangana Gumede (1870–1947)
- 1930 – 1936 Pixley ka Isaka Seme (1882–1951)
- 1937 – 1940 Zacharias Richard Mahabane (1881-1971)
- 1940 – 1949 Alfred Bitini Xuma (1890–1962)
- 1949 – 1952 James Sebe Moroka (1891-1985)
- 1952 – 1967 Albert John Lutuli (1898–1967)
- 1967 – 1991 Oliver Reginald Tambo (1917–1993)
- 1991 – 1997 Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela (1918-2013)
- 1997 – 2007 Thabo Mvuyelwa Mbeki (1942-)
- 2007–2017 Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma (1942-)
- 2017- Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa
Congratulations #CR17 for being elected #ANC54 President. It will however be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for you to become RSA President. The EFF is ready on the ground!
— Floyd Shivambu (@FloydShivambu) 18 December 2017
— Justice Malala (@justicemalala) 18 December 2017
#CyrilRamaphosa is going to have a tough time as President. Majority of people in his top 6 are pro Zuma. The idea of recalling President Zuma is challenging
— Bra Nape (@Nape_MM) 18 December 2017