Breaking, Sports

FIFA unveils 2026 World Cup bidding process

FIFA unveiled the timetable of its delayed bidding process for the 2026 World Cup on Tuesday, with president Gianni Infantino’s plans for a 40-team tournament to be decided upon by October and a final decision on the hosts to be made in May 2020.

A FIFA source told Reuters that they had considered increasing this wait period to 12 years or more and that there had been no discussions about allowing a continent to host successive World Cups.

This could mean that Africa should wait for seven more to start bidding to host the world cup again after South Africa hosted it in 2010, with Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup, Europe would have to wait until at least 2030 before staging the tournament again.

Infantino was elected as FIFA president in February when one of his main promises was to increase the number of teams in the finals from 32 to 40, a proposal which is strongly opposed by Europe’s biggest clubs.

FIFA said that decisions were expected by October on the number of teams, the format for the tournament, the “eligibility of (continental) confederations to bid” and whether to allow joint bids.


Source: Reuters