Transport Minister Joe Maswanganyi says the country’s traffic law enforcement officers will continue to conduct roadblocks throughout the country during this festive season and beyond.
Minister Maswanganyi said law enforcement operations will target enforcement around wearing seatbelts, using cell phones while driving and un-roadworthy vehicles. Officers will continue to clamp down on drunken driving, excessive speed and other moving violations.
He urged motorists to observe these guidelines:
- Drive at a safe speed and always observe the speed limit.
- Always wear your seat belt and ensure that passengers do the same.
- Do not drink and drive.
- Follow other vehicles at a safe distance.
- Do not use a mobile phone while driving.
- Overtake with care.
- Take regular breaks – at least every two hours.
- Before you drive a vehicle ensure that the vehicle is properly licensed and has a valid insurance policy,
- You have the valid and appropriate licence to drive the vehicle.