South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will no longer televise international content and repeat old programs during the second quarter of this final year.
The announced had been made by Communication Minister Faith Muthambi on Friday, while delivering the Department‘s Budget Vote in Parliament.
This come a day After SABC’s Chief Operation Officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng made announcement at Auckland Park chatting with filmmakers and actress about the new local content that is set to be launched by South African Broadcasting Corporation.
“We are also pleased to announce that during the second quarter of this financial year, the SABC will cease to flight international content repeats. This will be replaced by South African content, where South Africans will be telling their own stories in their own languages.” Say Muthambi.
She says while the country celebrates the good work produced by SABC team, and also regrets the limited founding of the Corporation. It is believed that the government have the willingness to develop funding model option for SABC.
“We are evaluating the available funding models, including direct government funding, advertising, and the television license fee as possible sources of increased funding for the SABC,” she says.
Minister Mutambi says SABC is recognised as one of the most accessible broadcaster and consequently government should continue supporting SABC to release its public broadcasting service permission.
Muthanbi added saying she acknowledge announcement made by President Jacob Zuma during his Budget Vote debate where he outlined the SABC will engage local deletion content producers with regard to a new local content.
A number of media personalities gathered at SABC in Auckland Park on Wednesday to discuss the launch of the new local content.
The president has announce that the government will work with the department of Trade and Industry which has formed black Emerging filmmakers fund and also offers equal opportunities for South African Filmmakers.
“As announced by the President, we will work with the Department of Trade and Industry which has established a Black Emerging Filmmakers Fund, which aims to assist in bridging the inequality gap for filmmakers in South Africa.” “This initiative by the SABC will go a long way towards preservation of culture, tradition and heritage,” she says.
The SABC has been allocated R182.2 million to fund the operations of Channel Africa, its capital infrastructure programme, community radio stations and programme production.
You may also be interested in:
The much awaited inquiry into the former Police Commissioner Riah Phiyega to hold the office of the National Police Commissioner start today in Pretoria Gauteng. Last year President Jacob Zuma suspended police commissioner Riah Phiyega with immediate effect and on full pay following the Marikana inquiry which questioned her ability […]
By Vusi Romio Ndove